Tuesday, December 29, 2009

New High Tech

Research Building (2005), University of Massachusetts, Dartmouth
[Architectural Resources Cambridge]

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Monson Beauty

Monson Memorial Town Hall (1884), Monson.
[George E. Potter]

Polychrome Wonder

Memorial Hall (1870), Harvard University, Cambridge.
[Ware & Van Brunt] William Robert Ware (1832–1915), and Henry Van Brunt (1832-1903)

The Symphony

Symphony Hall (1900), Boston.

[McKim, Mead, and White] Charles Follen McKim (1847-1909), William Rutherford Mead (1846-1928), and Stanford White (1853-1906).

Fall River's Jewel

Academy Building (1876), Fall River (aka Borden Block)
[Hartwell & Swazey] Henry Walker Hartwell (1833-1919), Albert E. Swazey, Jr.

Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.

Saturday, December 26, 2009

Love it or Hate it (Part 2)

Government Center (1976), Fall River.
[Continental Engineering Corp.]

“Air rights” obtained from Federal Highway officials in the 1960’s. Construction was delayed for several years as the city debated costs and varying design schemes.

Designed by Continental Engineering Corp. of East Providence in the Brutalist style, made popular by Paul Rudolph and others. Construction by Dimeo of Providence began in 1973, and was completed by July 1976.

Fall River Superior

Bristol County Superior Courthouse (1889), Fall River.
[Robert H. Slack]

Suffolk County Juvenile Court

Edward W. Brooke Courthouse (1999), Boston
[Kallmann, McKinnell & Wood]

Love it or Hate it...

City Hall (1968), Government Center, Boston.
[Kallmann McKinnell & Knowles]

Keystone Building

Keystone Building, 99 High Street, Boston.
[Emery Roth & Sons]

English Gothic

First Parish Church (1830), Taunton.

Part of the Church Green National Historic District.

Bristol Academy

Bristol Academy (1852), Taunton.
[Richard Upjohn]

Occupied by the Old Colony Historical Society since 1926.

Part of the Church Green National Historic District.

Springfield Courthouse

Hampden County Courthouse (1874), Springfield.
[Henry Hobson Richardson]

Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.

Sever Hall

Sever Hall (1878), Harvard University, Cambridge.
[Henry Hobson Richardson]

Stoughton Hall

Stoughton Hall (1804), Harvard University, Cambridge.
[Charles Bulfinch]


U.S. Customhouse (1834), New Bedford
[Robert Mills] (1781-1855)

Part of the New Bedford Historic District.

JFK Library

John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum (1979), Boston.
[Ieoh Ming Pei]


Kresge Auditorium (1955), Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge
[Eero Saarinen]


Stata Center (2004), Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge.
[Frank Gehry]

A Sad Little Depot

East Brookfield Depot, East Brookfield.
[Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge]

One of 23 stations designed by the firm for the Boston and Albany Railroad between 1886 and 1894.

In 2002 it was listed on Preservation Massachusetts' Most Engangered List. It is still very much threatened.

UPDATE: Very sadly destroyed by fire in September 2010.

Friday, December 25, 2009

Pilgrim Church

Pilgrim Congregational Church (1852), Taunton.
[Richard Upjohn]

Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.

Monday, December 21, 2009


Marston Building (1889)

Recently rennovated.

Boston Masterpiece

Trinity Church (1873), Boston
[Henry Hobson Richardson]

A National Historic Landmark.

Round Stone Barn

Round Stone Barn (1826), Hancock Shaker Village

Tom Lincoln House

General Thomas Lincoln House (1805), Taunton.

Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Italy Meets Cape Cod

Pilgrim Monument (1910), Provincetown

[Willard Thomas Sears]

This 252-foot tall tower is the tallest all-granite structure in the United States, and is part of the Provincetown historic district.

Memorial Hall and Library

Palmer Library and Memorial Hall (1890), Palmer.
[Robert Henderson Robertson]

Plymouth Cordage Tower

Plymouth Cordage Tower (1885)

Once the largest maker of rope in the country. The complex now contains a mix of businesses.

Concrete Industrial

Naumkeag Steam Cotton Mills, Salem.
Constructed by New England Concrete Construction Company.

One of the city's leading industries, totally destroyed by the Great Salem Fire of 1914. The complex was soon rebuilt using reinforced concrete, a relatively new material at the time.

Ames Library

Ames Free Library (1883), North Easton
[Henry Hobson Richardson]

Part of the H.H. Richardson Historic Landmark District.

Fairhaven Jewel

Fairhaven Town Hall (1893), Fairhaven.
[Charles Brigham]

Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1981.

Stoughton Depot

Stoughton Depot (1888), Stoughton.
[Charles Brigham]

Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.

Dwight-Derby House

Dwight-Derby House (1651), Medfield.

Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2002.

William Sandin House

William Sandin House (1714), Marblehead.

Dean-Barstow House

Dean-Barstow House, Williams Street, Taunton.

Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.


Attleborough Falls Gasholder (1874), North Attleborough.

Originally used to store gas manufactured from coal for lighting. Also known as a "Gasometer" this conical shaped building would have originally contained an iron tank for gas storage. These buildings were once very common in almost every city and town in New England. Today, less than two dozen survive across the United States. The town of North Attleborough has two remaining Gas Holders. This one has been converted into offices. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1996.

Taunton Superior

Bristol County Superior Courthouse (1894), Taunton.
[Frank Irving Cooper]

It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978 along with the nearby Registry of Deeds and District Court House.

Brutalist Campus

UMass Dartmouth (1964-71), Dartmouth.

[Paul Rudolph]

Classic Temple

Old Town Hall (1849), Shirley.

Second Empire Beauty

Edmund Chace House (c.1874), Rock Street, Fall River.

Part of the Highlands Historic District.

Boyden Hall

Boyden Hall (1926), Bridgewater State College, Bridgewater.

BSC's main administrative building. Named after Albert Boyden, former principal of what was then known as the State Normal School at Bridgewater.

Castle Church

First Unitarian Church (1838), New Bedford.

[Alexander Jackson Davis and Russell Warren]

Boston's Crown

Grain and Flour Exchange Building (1893), Milk Street, Boston.
[Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge] George Foster Shepley (1860-1903), Charles Hercules Rutan (1851-1914), and Charles Allerton Coolidge (1858-1932)

Saturday, December 19, 2009

Bulfinch Church

First Church of Christ, Unitarian (1826), Lancaster.
[Charles Bulfinch]

The Brick Mill

The Brick Mill (1826)Whitinsville, Massachusetts [Paul C. Whitin]

Once part of the Whitin Machine Works, one of the largest manufacturers of textile machinery in the world. Perhaps the oldest extant mill in the State that has not been significantly altered.

It has been recently restored.